What is an IT technical sales apprentice?
An IT technical sales apprentice assists in selling hardware and software products and services, this can be as part of a team or individually. You will become a technical expert in your field with the ability to offer advice on the most suitable products for every client. The role will also incorporate a large sales element where you will be responsible for achieving a certain level of sales to meet regular targets.
What is the work like?
As the role is primarily a sales role you will be expected to achieve challenging sales targets both as an induvidual and as a team. Customers will also rely on your expert knowledge to answer questions, resolve problems and provide them with the right product. You will need to maintain a high level of customer service to ensure that they have a positive experience, which can determine levels of sales and repeat business. Duties can vary depending on your employer but they will typically include:
- Attending sales meetings with clients
- Advising and guiding on products and devices that can help the efficiency of the business and meet the client or businesses needs more directly
- Recommend adaptations to the software or hardware which could improve the suitability for the needs of the client
- Answering clients questions and resolving any problems
- Reporting findings to supervisors, technical teams and clients
- Providing a high level of customer service
- One year Level 3 Apprenticeship
- A Level 3 City and Guilds Diploma in IT Professional Competence
- A Level 3 City and Guilds Diploma in IT Systems and Principles
- Sales skills training covering the sales process. This includes preparing for the sales call, defining customer needs and handling challenging customers
- You will have the option to attend day release workshops to enhance your knowledge and skills
- You will receive teaching, learning and assessment through:
your place of work
through distance learning
What skills are required to gain this apprenticeship?
To be an IT Sales Person you will need to demonstrate:
- Good IT skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Good written and verbal communication
- An understanding of customer service
- A good work ethic with a determination to succeed
- Ability to work within a team or covering your own caseload of work
- Determination to achieve and surpass targets
What qualifications are required to gain this apprenticeship?
You will need to have gained A-C grades in G.C.S.E English and Maths or if you do not have these grades you will need to work towards your Functional Skills, English and Maths at level two.
What to expect once qualified?
An IT Sales Person typically works 40 hours a week Monday to Friday and are based primarily in the office or be it many employers offer shift work which may include weekend work.
From 1st October 2015 an apprentice will earn a minimum of £3.30 an hour. This is the minimum salary and some employers may choose to pay more. Once qualified you may expect to earn between £14,000 to £20,000 per year.
As you gain more experience and complete further training you can expect this salary to rise. There may be more opportunities for shift and overtime pay depending on your employer. You may also be eligible for holiday entitlement, company pension and private healthcare schemes.
Please Note: the figures used are meant as a guide only can vary from employer to employer and may be dependent on the geographical area.
How do I apply to be an IT Sales Person Apprentice?
If you are interested in becoming an IT Sales Person you will need to register your interest with Remit by completing the online application form here.
For more information on this Apprenticeship click on the link below:
Level 3 – IT Sales Person
To register your details please click here and fill in the online application.