Interviews can be a nerve wracking experience for anyone. Being prepared will help create a lasting positive impression on the employer and increase your confidence about being interviewed.
Here are some hints and tips about interview preparation which we think are handy for anyone looking for employment:
- Research – Both the company and the role, you need to make sure that you are aware of the expectations of the role and the background of the company. The job description and the company website are the best place to find this information.
- Look over your CV and take note of any experience, strengths and interests which will fit well with the job and the company you are being interviewed for.
- Think about the type of questions that you may be asked and then prepare answers for these questions.
- Arrive on time or early
- Plan the day of your interview – Make sure you know when and where the interview is going to take place, how you are going to get to the interview and how long it will take you to get there. Take into account traffic and public transport timetables. Make sure you have a postcode or directions to the location of the interview as well as a contact number just in case find it difficult to find the location of the interview.
- Dress smartly – Plan your outfit the day before, make sure that you are smart and well presented. Try to keep make up and jewellery to a minimum.
- Speak clearly and confidently – Do not use slang or swear words during the interview.
- Turn off you mobile phone.
- Sit up and listen to the employer – Slouching and seeming disinterested will greatly hinder your chances.
- Think of some questions to ask the interviewer- But avoid questions about salary and the benefits; use this to find out more about the role and the company.
- Take your time and sell yourself- Do not rush into answering something as you may miss including something which could be beneficial. Be positive about yourself, experience and skills.
Below is a list of questions you might get asked in your interview. Preparing answers to these questions and testing your responses out on family or friends will help you on the day and impress the interviewer.
- Why have you applied for this apprenticeship?
- Why do you want to have an apprenticeship in this industry?
- How would you describe yourself?
- Give an example of a time when you have coped well under pressure.
- Give an example of how you have dealt with a difficult situation.
- What do you think we mean by customer-focused service and how will it relate to this job role?
- What is your understanding of equal opportunities and how it applies to this job?
- Give an example of a time you have worked independently.
- Give an example of a time you have worked as part of a team.
- Please give details of any hobbies that you have?
- What work experience have you done?
- Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?
- Have you got any questions for us?
- Is there anything else you would like to tell us to support your application?
If you have any more questions or need any help preparing for your interview please do not hesitate in contacting your recruiter at Remit and they will be happy to answer any questions and give your further advice about interviews.